Tamil Nadu is one of the important states in democratic India when it comes to voting. After the introduction of online portals and web services by the Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu, applying for a Voter ID and securing one has become hassle free and less time consuming.
How to register for Color Voter ID in TN
Listed below are the steps to be followed in order to get a Color Voter ID
- Visit the official website of your state
- Click on the link specified for the registration of new PVC Voter ID
- Enter the required details along with your mobile number
- Upload your photograph
- Submit the details
- A verification code will be sent to the mobile number mentioned
- Enter the code in the box specified for it
- The site will send a identity code for your respective voter card
- You will receive updates through SMS
- The voter card will be sent to your house post within 45 to 60 days
How to Apply for Voter ID Online in Tamil Nadu
An individual can apply for Voter ID online in Tamil Nadu through the portal offered by Chief Electoral Officer.
Follow the simple steps given below to register yourself as a voter in Tamil Nadu:
- Go to the Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu web portal. In the home page, choose electoral services.
- From the list of options offered under electoral services, choose “Register as a Voter”.
- You will have to completely fill the form that will be displayed on the page to include your name in the electoral roll.
- You will be required to provide information like your name, date of birth, age, parent’s or spouse’s name, details about place of birth, present address and details of applicants in the family whose name has already been included in the electoral roll of the constituency.
- You will also have to upload your photo or alternatively allow the program to take a photo through your webcam.
- You will be asked to fill a self-declaration form and once you fill in the verification code, you can submit the form.
- Once the form is submitted and verified, the Booth Level Officers (BLOs) will visit your residence to verify the details and will move your application to the next level. Once approved, the election voter ID card will be sent to your residential address.
How to Apply for Voter ID Offline in Tamil Nadu
People who wish to apply in person and those who are not familiar with online forms, voter ID can be obtained by filling up simple forms.
Follow the procedure given below to apply for a Voter ID in Tamil Nadu:
- One can also file an application for Voter ID offline easily in Tamil Nadu. The first step to applying is to secure the application form, the form numbers with their purposes is given below.
- Form 6 – Application for inclusion of name in electoral roll after the draft publication of roll
- Form 7 – Application form for objection to include a name in electoral roll
- Form 8 – Application form for correction of details in electoral roll
- Form 8 A – Application form for transposition of an entry in the electoral roll
- Along with the correct form for application as in Form 6, you must also provide other necessary KYC documents.
- Keep handy the details of family members whose name has already been included in the electoral roll.
- Visit the nearest Electoral Registration Office to submit the documents. Once the documents are approved and verified, the Booth Level officers (BLOs) will visit your residence to make sure the information is correct.
- To issue a voter ID for all registered voters, frequent drives are organized by the Election Commission of India (ECI) at Designated Photographic Locations (DPLs). Such drives are advertised in all media channels including TV and print media. People can also make use of such drives to get Voter ID without any hassles of having to submit separate application forms.
How to track status in Tamil Nadu
Tracking Voter ID Status Online
To check if your name has been included in the electoral rolls, you can follow the steps given below.
- Visit the Tamil Nadu CEO website.(http://220.127.116.11/AppTracking/Tracking.aspx)
- You can track your application by using your Application ID or your mobile number.
- Click on “Track Status” to find out your application status.
Tracking Voter ID status via SMS
To track your Voter ID status, you can send the following SMS to 9211728082.
- EPICVoter ID number
Calling on the Dedicated ECI Helpline Number
You can call the ECI Helpline number 1950 toll free. The helpline is available on all working days between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID in Tamil Nadu
If you have lost your Voter ID card in Tamil Nadu and wish to apply for a new Voter ID, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the nearest police station and file a complaint. You will have to get a FIR to apply for a duplicate voter ID card.
- You will have to submit a letter regarding the loss of voter ID card and mention details like the date of loss, name on Voter ID card, Voter ID card number etc.
- After the FIR has been filed, you will have to fill the Form 002 issued by the Election Commission of India which is for the issue of duplicate elector’s Photo Identity Card (EPIC).
- You will also have to provide additional KYC documents like address proof and identity proof with the Form 002.
- Submit all documents at the nearest Election Commission Office. The application will be reviewed in less than a week and the new Voter ID will be sent to your residence.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Online in Tamil Nadu
It is very important that you ensure all details in the Voter ID card are correct since it is going to serve as your identity. If the details like date of birth, name or address is incorrect, you must get it corrected without any delay. Thanks to the online systems, corrections in Voter ID cards issued in Tamil Nadu can be easily done online.
Here is the procedure of how to make corrections in Voter ID card online:
- Visit the website of Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu. In the homepage, select “Electoral Services”.
- Under the options given, select “Apply for Correction”. If you have selected “Apply for Correction”, you will have to fill certain information in Form 8 for correction. You will be asked to enter the Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) number.
- If you are not sure about your EPIC number, you can choose “Don’t Know EPIC” and the system will ask your district, name and taluk to help you search for your Voter ID card number.
- You will have to mention if you are correcting your name, date of birth, photo or parent/spouse’s name. Also, you can link your mobile and email id through this page.
- If you have opted for change of address, you will have to specify the old and new address Also, you must upload supporting documents and sign a declaration before you can submit the application for address change.
Once this form is submitted, the application will be reviewed and the correct Voter ID card will be sent to your residential address.
Process of Voter ID Card Correction Offline in Tamil Nadu
Your Voter ID card should have the right information about your name, age and address as it acts as your identity.
If by chance, the particulars in your Voter ID Card in Tamil Nadu are not correct, you can get it changed by following the simple steps given below:
- Completely fill and sign the Form 8 for correcting the information that has been entered in the Voter ID.
- Along with copies of your photograph, you will be required to provide KYC documents that support the change. For example, if you would like to change your family name after marriage, you must present the marriage certificate.
Process of Change of Address in Voter ID online in Tamil Nadu
If your address has been printed wrongly in the Voter ID card issued in Tamil Nadu or if you have moved to a new assembly constituency or a city, you must ensure that the address stays updated in the Voter ID card also.
Changing your address in Voter ID in Tamil Nadu is easy with online services:
- Log on to the Chief Electoral Officer’s website. Select “Electoral Services” in the home page.
- From the list of services that is being displayed, choose “Change of Address”.
- In the form that will be displayed, you will have to enter your Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) number. If you don’t know your Voter ID card number, choose “Don’t know EPIC”, the system will ask for your district and constituency and will help you find your Voter ID number.
- You will have to enter the new address and the old address after which you will be asked to sign a declaration.
- Once you submit that form, the application will be reviewed and the new Voter ID card will be sent to your residential address.
Process for Change of Address in Voter ID offline in Tamil Nadu
For people who are not familiar with the process of correcting the address in Voter ID online, address change in Voter ID can be done offline also.
The process on how to change address in Voter ID is given below:
- Completely fill and sign the form number 8 A which is for correcting the address in Voter ID card or form 8 A which is transposition of entry in electoral list.
- With all supporting documents for new address like passport or ration card, submit the form at the nearest Election Commission Office (ECO).
- The Election Commission Office will review your form and will send a new, corrected Voter ID card to your residential address.
Election Commission of Tamil Nadu
The Election Commission of Tamil Nadu is headed by the Chief Election Commissioner Mr. Rajesh Lakhoni, with its office in Fort St. George, Chennai.
The Election Commission is responsible for conducting free and fair elections in the state and also issues voter ID cards to eligible voters, draws up electoral lists for the various constituencies among other duties.
Services Offered for Voters by the Election Commission
|Voter Registration||Voters can register for an EPIC card both online and offline|
|Correction of details in EPIC||Voters can apply for make changes to information in their EPIC card|
|Tracking Application||By entering reference number details, voters can track the status of their EPIC application|
|Download Forms||All forms related to voter ID applications can be downloaded through the website|
|Know your polling station||Voters can check the location of their polling station by entering their EPIC number|
|Search Voter List||Voters can check if their names are included on the voter’s list before an election|
Election Services Offered by the Election Commission
|Complaints||Voters can register an election-related grievance and track its redressal status|
|Booth Level officer||List of Booth Level Officers and contact details for every constituency provided|
|Information pertaining to elections||Information of printing of ballots, GIS map etc provided|
|Elections 2016||Candidate lists, polling stations, forms, contact numbers and all election related information provided|
Updates on Upcoming Election in Tamil Nadu
The State Assembly elections in Tamil Nadu will take place on May 16th, 2016, with all 234 constituencies going to the polls on the same day.
Tamil Nadu voters can check if their name is on the electoral roll for their constituency by visiting the website of the Chief Electoral Officer for Tamil Nadu. They can also check their names against the electoral rolls by visiting the election office in their constituency.
A comprehensive list of the polling booths in every constituency is mentioned on the Chief Electoral Officer’s website as well.
Conducted by the Election Commission of Tamil Nadu, the elections will take place in one phase across the state.
Tamil Nadu Elections at a Glance
|Number of Parliamentary constituencies||39|
|Chief Electoral Officer||Mr. Rajesh Lakhoni|
|Number of Assembly Constituencies||234|
|Governor of Tamil Nadu||Mr. Konijeti Rosaiah|
|Address of Chief Electoral Officer||Tamil Nadu Secretariat, St. George Fort, Chennai- 600009|