Here is an update containing all the important current affairs for 7th July 2017. You can download the Important Current Affairs 7th July 2017 with pdf capsule too.
You can also attempt daily important current affairs quiz for yesterday:
Odisha govt signs EOI with IAAF & AFI
- The Odisha govt signed an Expression of Intent with the International Association of Athletics Federations & Athletics Federation of India to establish a High Performance Academy in Bhubaneswar.
- The EOI was signed by Sports Secretary Vishal Kumar Dev and AFI president Adille Sumariwala and IAAF president Lord Sebastian Coe.
- An academy for athletes will be built in the Kalinga Stadium.
2017 Asian Athletics Championships
- Manpreet Kaur and Govindan Laxman have managed to win gold medals on the opening day of Asian Athletics Championships held at Kalinga Stadium of Bhubaneshwar.
- The Asian Athletics Championships is an event organised by the Asian Athletics Association. It is held once in every two years.
- The 2017 Asian Athletics Championship is the 22nd edition and will be held from 6 July to 9 July 2017
Vietnam renews Indian Oil Deal
- Vietnam has granted ONGC Videsh a two-year extension to explore oil block 128 in the South China Sea.
- The part of the oil block 128 is in the U-shaped ‘nine-dash line,’ the area which is claimed by China.The permission was first granted in the year 2006 which is due to expire in mid-June.
Hebron in World Heritage List
- UNESCO infuriated Israel as it voted to list the biblical West Bank city of Hebron as a world heritage site in danger.
- 12 countries on the world heritage committee voted in favour of the Palestinian request to name Hebron a heritage site, while only 3 voted against it.
- The move makes Hebron’s old city the 3rd Palestinian world heritage site.
Jail term for not printing new MRP
- Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan warned of a fine of up to Rs 1 lakh, including a jail term, if new, post-GST rates are not printed on the inventory in the interest of consumers.
- Manufacturers have been allowed to clear the unsold stocks by September with new MRP.
- Under the GST regime, he said some prices of goods have fallen and some have risen.
JIGYASA programme launched
- Jigyasa, a student- scientist connect programme was officially launched in New Delhi.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research has joined hands with Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan to implement this programme.
- The focus is on connecting school students and scientists so as to extend student’s classroom learning with that of a very well planned research laboratory based learning.
Goenka Renominated IIT-K Chairman
- Industrialist Sanjiv Goenka has been renominated as chairman, Board of Governors (BoG) of IIT-Kharagpur, for the second time.
- President Pranab Mukherjee, in his capacity as visitor of the institute has nominated Sanjiv Goenka, Chairman, RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group for the role for a period of three years.
- Mr. Goenka has served as chairman of IIT-Kharagpur from 2002-2007.
Srei joins hands with Russian Govt Bank
- Srei Infrastructure Finance has joined hands with Russian Govt-owned Vnesheconombank to create a $200 Mn fund.
- Fund aims to facilitate innovation in the field of IT.
- The fund will serve as a two-way bridge between the Indian and Russian markets and create opportunities for India-Russia cross-border technology cooperation.
- This MoU provides for a credit line to Srei of up to $500 million
CopyCat Malware Infected 1.4 cr Devices
- A new strain of a malware called CopyCat has infected more than 14 million Android devices around the world.
- Majority of victims are in Asia, more than 280,000 Android devices in the US were hit by the massive hack.
- CopyCat is able to replace the Referrer ID on your apps with its own, so every ad that pops up on the app will send revenue to the hackers instead of the app’s creators.
Non-executive chairman of Union Bank
- Union Bank of India has appointed Kewal Handa as its non-executive chairman.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved Handa’s appointment as non-official director/non-executive chairman of the bank.
- Handa will hold the post for a period of three years.
- Union Bank is one of the largest government-owned banks of India headquartered at Mumbai.
India ranks 23rd in cybersecurity index
- India is ranked a high 23rd out of 165 nations in a global index that measures the commitment of nations across the world to cybersecurity.
- India ranked 23rd with a score of 0.683 and has been listed in “maturing” category.
- Index has been topped by Singapore with a 0.925 score.
- United States and Malaysia stood at second and third position respectively while Russia stood at 11th position.
Siemens opens its first digital factory
- Siemens has opened its 1st digital factory in India, 3rd globally after one each in Germany and China.
- Company hopes to use this digital factory as a showcase to sell a range of plant automation equipment & software to Indian manufacturing units.
- It is situated on outskirts of Mumbai and is capable of producing 180+ variants of low-voltage switchgear at the rate of 1 product every 9 seconds.
Garib Nawaz Skill Development Centre
- Minister of State for Minority Affairs, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has said that Garib Nawaz Skill Development Centres will be established in 100 districts of the country.
- They will effectively ensure employment oriented skill development of youth belonging to Minority communities.
- In next 6 months, Garib Nawaz Skill Development Centres will be established at Hyderabad, Noida, Lucknow etc.
UNSC sanctions splinter group of Taliban
- UN Security Council has sanctioned a splinter group of the Pakistan Taliban, subjecting it to assets freeze and an arms embargo.
- The Security Council’s Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee has added Jamaat-Ul-Ahrar to the terror group Islamic State and Al-Qaida Sanctions List.
- Jamaat-Ul-Ahrar is the splinter group of the Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan and is associated with the Islamic State terror group
Anti-Hijacking Law Comes Into Force
- India’s new anti-hijacking law which prescribes capital punishment in the event of death of “any person”, has come into force.
- It replaces a 1982 law, according to which hijackers could be tried only in event of death of hostages, such as flight crew, passengers.
- The law mandates central govt to confer powers of investigation, arrest and prosecution on any officer of central govt or NIA.
India slips to be 4th largest investor
- India has slipped by one spot to become the fourth-largest foreign investor into the UK.
- India lost its position as the third largest investor in the UK to France which set up 131 projects last year while India could set up 127 new projects.
- US remains on the top, investing in 577 projects in the UK, with China (including Hong Kong) remaining in second place with 160 projects.
Customers should report fraud in 3 days
- According to RBI, Customers will not suffer any loss if unauthorised online banking transactions are reported within 3 days.
- The amount involved will be credited in the accounts concerned within 10-days.
- In case the third party fraud is reported with a delay of four to seven working days, a customer will face liability of up to Rs25,000.
Pakistan test fires short-range NASR
- Pakistan has successfully test-fired short-range surface to surface ballistic missile named Nasr.
- NASR is a high-precision weapon system with the ability to be deployed quickly.
- The test was conducted to validate missile’s new technical parameters including enhanced range from 60 km to 70 km and flight maneuverability.
- Pakistan is planning to conduct several such tests over next few days.
South Indian Bank ties up with PFG Forex
- South Indian Bank has tied up with PFG Forex for remittance facility for the benefit of Indian expatriates from Australia.
- Under this arrangement, NRIs can enjoy cost-effective and fast remittance services using SIB’s Express facility.
- NRIs can visit the PFG Forex outlets across Australia for remittances to India.
India declared free from H5N1 & H5N8
- India has declared itself free from highly pathogenic Avian Influenza (H5N1 & H5N8) after surveillance in the states showed no evidence of its presence.
- India reported outbreaks of Avian Influenza at epicentres in Delhi, Gwalior, Rajpura among others during Oct 2016 to Feb 2017.
- The move will help India to resume export of poultry products to countries which had banned trade in such items.