Here is an update containing all the important current affairs for 5th July 2017. You can download the Important Current Affairs 5th July 2017 with pdf capsule too.
You can also attempt daily important current affairs quiz for yesterday:
5% for physically challenged items
- The Ministry of Revenue has announced a 5% concessional GST rate on the following assistive devices and rehabilitation aids for physically-challenged person.
- The concessional 5% GST rate on these devices/equipments would enable their domestic manufacturers to avail of input tax credit of GST paid on their inputs and raw materials.
- A total of 22 items have the concession.
Xiaomi signs agreement with Nokia
- Nokia has announced that it has entered into a wide-ranging patent licensing and purchase deal with Xiaomi.
- The deal will see both companies cross-licensing each other’s cellular standard essential patents, with Xiaomi also picking up an unspecified number of patents from Nokia.
- Xiaomi will also become a customer of Nokia’s network equipment
New species of dinosaur discovered
- Scientists have discovered an ancient, giant, crocodile-like creature in Madagascar that had T-Rex-sized teeth it used for crunching bones.
- The discovery helps to fill in the evolutionary gaps of a 74 million year long crocodilian “ghost lineage.”
- It has been named Razanandrongobe sakalavae.
- The findings, published in the journal PeerJ, place the fossils in the suborder Notosuchia.
UDAY covers 97% of discom debt
- The Union Ministry of Power has announced that about 97% of the total outstanding debt of all state power distribution companies has been covered under the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana.
- As on September 2015, the total debt of all state-owned discoms was Rs 3.95 lakh crore.
- The 26 states and 1 UT which have joined the UDAY scheme accounted for total outstanding debt of Rs. 3.82 lakh crore.
MFIN re-elects President
- Microfinance Institutions Network has re-elected Rakesh Dubey as its president for the second term.
- The industry association and self-regulator for the NBFC-MFIs has also elected Devesh Sachdev, chief executive of Fusion Microfinance as vice president.
- Prior to joining the SVCL, Dubey was involved in the formation of Sonata Finance and Cashpor Micro Credit.
Madhukar Toradmal passes away
- Veteran Marathi actor-writer Madhukar Toradmal has passed away.
- Toradmal was a writer, director and actor. He had acted in Marathi as well as Hindi films including “Simhasan,” “AapliManasa”, “Atmavishwas” and “Raakh”.
- The Marathi play “Tarun Turk Mhatare Urk”, which he wrote and acted in, ran for as many as 5,000 shows.
$100 million venture fund for startups
- Infosys co-founder, Aadhaar architect Nandan Nilekani along with venture capitalist Sanjeev Aggarwal has launched a $100 million venture fund called Fundamentum to back mid-stage startups.
- The corpus may be extended to $200 million if the fund sees more opportunities.
- The fund, which has so far closed $50 million, will see one-third of the corpus coming from Nilekani and Aggarwal.
RBI ups FPI investment limit in g-secs
- Reserve Bank has raised the FPI investment limit in government securities by 4.7% to Rs 2.42 lakh crore for July-September quarter.
- Likewise, the foreign portfolio investors will be allowed to raise their investment in state development loans by Rs61 billion to Rs331 billion for September quarter.
- Hence, the overall limit of FPI investment in government securities goes up to Rs 2580 billion
India’s tallest ATC tower
- The new 101.9-metre air traffic control tower at the Delhi airport — touted to be the country’s tallest — is likely to start operations by December.
- The tower, among the tallest structures in Delhi, will give a 360-degree view of the airport to the controllers who will be able to see all the three runways, aprons and taxiways.
- The tower, built at a cost of Rs 350 crore.
Ivory Coast International tournament
- Ritika Thaker defeated Simran Singhi to win the singles title in the Ivory Coast International badminton tournament at Abidjan.
- Later, Ritika and Simran paired together to beat the Nigerian duo of Zainab Momohand Peace Orji in the women’s doubles final.
- Ritika became only the second player from Nagpur after Arundhati Pantawane to clinch the women’s singles crown.
Most detailed brain scan
- An advanced MRI machine has produced the world’s most detailed scan of the human brain that could one day be used to better understand schizophrenia, dementia and epilepsy.
- The scan was carried out at Cardiff University’s Brain Research Imaging Centre.
- The images were generated using an advanced MRI machine – one of only three in the world.
Cisco India President quits
- Cisco India and South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation president Dinesh Malkani has resigned at the networking solutions giant to take on a leadership role at a start-up.
- Malkani will continue in his role until 31st July and remain associated with Cisco till the end of September.
- He had joined Cisco in 2010 to lead the collaboration technologies team in Asia Pacific, Japan & China.
Signature Global’s new Brand Ambassador
- Realty firm Signature Global, which is into development of affordable homes, has roped in Bollywood actress Vidya Balan as brand ambassador.
- She has been signed as Signature Global’s brand ambassador for two years.
- Signature Global has launched 9 affordable housing projects, comprising about 9300 units in a price range of Rs 15-25 lakh, in Gurgaon in the last three years of operations.
ICICI terminates JV with Fairfax
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company has terminated its joint venture agreement with Fairfax Financial Holdings.
- This move is pursuant to a termination agreement signed on July 3, the bank said in a stock exchange notice.
- In May 2017, Fairfax Financial Holdings offloaded 12.18% in ICICI General to a clutch of investors for Rs 2,473 crore.
New NDRF Chief appointed
- Himachal Pradesh director general of police Sanjay Kumar has been appointed as the new chief of the National Disaster Response Force.
- The post of NDRF director general (DG) fell vacant after incumbent R K Pachnanda was appointed as the chief of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
- Kumar, who is the director general of police in Himachal Pradesh, is set to retire in December next year.
Karnataka launches ‘Elevate 100’ scheme
- The Karnataka government has launched the ‘Elevate 100’ scheme to identify and nurture innovative start-ups.
- The Elevate scheme is the brainchild of the start-up cell, Karnataka Biotechnology and Information Technology Services (KBITS), to help start-ups across the state.
- The aim is to identify 100 most innovative start-ups in the state to elevate them to the next level of success.
Global Skill Park in Bhopal
- The foundation stone of the country’s biggest Global Skill Park was laid in Bhopal jointly by Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rajeev Pratap Rudi and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- The park will be built in Narela Shankari.
- It has been built with the support of Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education and Education Services
A new Israeli flower named after Modi
- Commemorating Modi’s visit to Israel, Danziger Flower Farm named the flower Chrysanthemum as Modi.
- Modi visited the farm along with his Israeli counterpart Netanyahu where they were briefed about the latest technologies being used for floriculture.
- The farm is one of Israel’s leading floriculture companies with 80,000 m2 of state-of-the-art greenhouses specialising in reproduction of plants.
Microsoft India inks pact with NISA
- Microsoft India has signed an agreement with National Independent Schools Alliance to offer Microsoft Aspire School Program (MASP) Pro Plus to over 55,000 member schools.
- MASP aims to equip schools with technology and innovative learning solutions, modernise campuses, and prepare future- ready students, among others.
- With this partnership, schools across 23 states can now avail MASP Pro Plus
TERI ranked second
- The Energy Resources Institute has been ranked as the second best climate think tank in the world.
- The rankings were released by the the International Center for Climate Governance, which focuses on the design of climate policy and related governance issues.
- TERI conducts research for sustainable development of India and is headquartered in New Delhi.