Here is an update containing all the important current affairs for 2nd July 2017. You can download the Important Current Affairs 2nd July 2017 with pdf capsule too.
You can also attempt daily important current affairs quiz for yesterday:
DC’s highest-grossing movie
- With the box office collection of USD 334.9 million, Wonder Woman has become the highest-grossing film of the DC Extended Universe at the US box office.
- With $670.68 million worldwide, movie already surpassed international numbers for Man of Steel and the domestic total for Suicide Squad.
- DCEU includes films such as “Man of Steel”, “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad”.
Samsung cuts manpower for first time
- For the first time in 7 years, headcount of Samsung Electronics came down in 2016 due to its restructuring in China.
- No. of employees fell to 308,745 in 2016 from 325,677 the previous year.
- Corporate restructuring in Samsung’s factories in China and other Asian countries led to overseas manpower cut.
- Ratio of female employees accounted for 44% last year, down 2% points from a year earlier.
India at lowest ever rank
- India has slipped to 88th place in terms of money parked by its citizens with Swiss banks, while the UK remains on the top.
- Deposit by Indians in 2016 was down to 676 million Swiss francs — a record low.
- India was placed at 75th position in 2015 and at 61st in the year before that, though it used to be among top-50 countries in terms of holdings in Swiss banks till 2007.
Govt completes safety audit
- The Road ministry has completed safety audit of 1.6 lakh bridges in the country out which 147 bridges were found to be unsafe during the audit.
- The government had launched an Integrated Bridge Management System to create data of all bridges and culverts in the country to avert mishaps
- Technologies using nano, laser and sensor are being introduced for real-time monitoring of bridges.
Sebi slaps fine on Sungold Capital
- Markets regulator Sebi has imposed a fine of total Rs 27 lakh on Sungold Capital and its 3 executive directors for allegedly violating norms related to public holding and disclosures.
- Chairman and managing director Rajiv Kotia was penalised ₹12 lakh for failing to disclose family’s shareholding.
- In a separate order Sebi slapped a fine of Rs 10 lakh on five relatives of Koita.
International Co-operative Day
- International Co-operative Day is an annual celebration of the co-operative movement observed on the first Saturday in July since 1923 by the International Co-operative Alliance.
- “Co-operatives ensure no one is left behind”, is the slogan of the 2017 International Day of Co-operatives.
- The day was first celebrated in 1995.
Chief Executive of Hong Kong
- China’s President Xi Jinping has inaugurated the new Hong Kong administration led by Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, the first woman to lead the city.
- The event coincided with the 20th anniversary of the handover of the city’s sovereignty from Britain to China.
- Carrie Lam is the 4th Chief Executive of Hong Kong.
India’s largest fresh water aquarium
- Jharkhand Chief Minister has inaugurated India’s largest fresh water aquarium in Bhagwan Birsa Munda Biodiversity Park premises and laying the foundation stone for the upcoming Eco Park at Ormanjhi in Ranchi.
- It houses over 1,500 fishes from 120 fish species displayed in 58 fish tanks.
- It is built at a cost of Rs. 5.67 crore
Adi Godrej wins award
- Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej and Dow Chemical CEO Andrew Liveries have been awarded the Global Leadership Awards of the US-India Business Council for their role in integrating India in the global supply chain.
- USIBC also presented its inaugural “Artistic Achievement Award” to Yashwant Shirwadkar.
- The President of USIBC is Mr. Mukesh Adhi.
BHEL signs pact for metro trains
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd has entered into a technology collaboration agreement with Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd of Japan for manufacturing of stainless steel coaches and bogies for metros.
- The agreement covers establishing design, engineering and manufacturing facilities at BHEL using Japanese technology.
- Kawasaki manufactures trains for countries like USA, Taiwan etc.
RBI sees economic growth rate at 7.3%
- The RBI stated the ongoing accelerated reform initiatives like Goods and Sevice Tax and continuing political stability will push the economic growth scale to 7.3% in 2017-18.
- The Financial Stability Report 2017 bases its optimism to the lower fiscal deficit at 3.2%.
- Reforms in FDI and real estate sector, implementation of GST, and revival in external demand will fuel growth.
TS Vineeth Bhatt awarded
- TS Vineeth Bhatt has been conferred with the ‘Best astrologer of the world’ award at the ‘Russian-Indian economic dialogue’ round-table meet held in Moscow.
- The event was organized by Peacemakers International, a charity that works for advancement of conflict resolution through mediation services and training.
- Bhatt is from Kerala and lives in Bowenpally, Hydwerabad, telangana.
EESL signs MoU with Saudi Arabia
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited has signed a MoU with National Energy Services Company, Saudi Arabia to implement energy efficiency programmes.
- As per the MoU, EESL will provide consultancy to execute energy efficiency programmes.
- The move comes in the wake of the Arab Kingdom working ardently towards reducing its power subsidies and introducing energy efficiency initiatives.
TN to set up Rs 2350 cr solar park
- The Tamil Nadu government will setup an Ultra Mega Solar Photovoltaic Power Park in Ramanathapuram district at an estimated cost of Rs 2350 crore.
- State-run TANGEDCO will establish the 500 MW power park on Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) basis at Naripaiyur and adjoining villages in the district.
- It is one of the several new initiative launched by the government.
SIERRA ODC building wins award
- SIERRA ODC building has been recognised as the world’s 2nd highest ranking Green Building, with a score of 103 out of 110 under LEED certification.
- The 3 storeyed building has been designed and constructed with an emphasis on increasing the efficiency of resource use while reducing its impact on human health and the environment.
- The building is located in Coimbatore.
Economic Relations Secretary appointed
- Vijay Gokhale, currently Indian Ambassador to China, has been appointed as Secretary (Economic Relations) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- He has served as Ambassador of India to Germany and also in Indian missions in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Beijing and New York.
- Gokhale will replace Amar Sinha, who had held the post for over a year.
Simone Veil passes away
- Simone Veil, the iconic European feminist politician, has passed away in Paris, France.
- She played a leading role in legalizing contraception and abortion in France. She was the first female President of the European parliament since the Parliament was created in 1952.
- She was a Holocaust survivor. She lost her entire family to the Nazis.
Eight core sectors growth slips
- The growth of eight core sectors slowed to 3.6% in May 2017 due to fall in output of coal and fertilisers.
- It was 5.2% in May 2016. In April 2017, these eight sectors had recorded a growth rate of 2.8%.
- In India, there are eight core sectors comprising of coal, crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilisers, steel, cement and electricity.
National Biopharma Mission
- The Union Ministry of Science & Technology has launched National Biopharma Mission, a first ever Industry-Academia mission to accelerate biopharmaceutical development.
- Under this mission, the ministry also launched Innovate in India (i3) program to promote entrepreneurship and indigenous manufacturing in the sector.
- i3 has been launched in collaboration with the Indian govt & World Bank.
Railways sign MoU with NBCC
- Rail Land Development Authority has joined hands with National Building Construction Corporation for redevelopment of 10 railway stations across the country on global standards.
- The identified stations to be taken up initially for redevelopment are Tirupati, Nellore, Puducherry, Sarai Rohilla, Madgaon, Lucknow, Gomtinagar, Kota, Thane & Ernakulam.
- 403 stations will be developed in total.