India is one of the world’s largest democracies with over 8 crore citizens enrolled as voters and a large number added to that electorate every year. Bihar is one of the largest states in India, with over 40 parliamentary seats and 243 members in the state assembly. Conducting the election process for such a large population is done by the Election Commission in the state, which registers voters and ensures the transparency of the process.
As part of its duties, the Election Commission also enrols new voters based on the eligibility criteria as laid down by the Constitution of India. Once a long and cumbersome process, the Election Commission has streamlined the process to make it easier for all eligible individuals to register and exercise their franchise.
How to Apply for Voter ID Card Online in Bihar
Registering for a voter’s ID card is now a simple process with the Bihar Election Commission offering individuals both online as well as offline methods of registration. The process of online registration makes it easier for applicants as they do not have to go to the electoral office and register themselves, but can fill up a form and begin the process.
The online application process is listed in detail below:
- Go to the website of the Chief Electoral Officer, Bihar and click on the “Citizen Services/Online Registration”, which will re-direct you to a new tab.
- Select the form you desire from among the options listed. For a new registration, select Form 6.
- Enter the details as required in the boxes on screen, such as your name in English and Hindi, mobile number, email address etc. to register for the service.
- You will receive a code, after which you will be able to register and sign in to the portal and access the online forms.
- Sign in and fill in the form online. You can also choose to save your responses and fill in the form at a later date.
- Once you have entered all the details and uploaded the documents as specified in the form (age proof, address proof and photograph), submit the form.
- On submission, a reference number will be generated, which can be used to track the status of the application.
- A Booth Level Officer (BLO) will visit your home to verify the information submitted.
- On successful verification, the voter ID card will be sent to your address as mentioned on the form.
How to Apply for Voter ID Card Offline in Bihar
Applying for a voter ID card is now a simple and quick process thanks to the Election Commission of Bihar’s efforts to make the voter registration more accessible.
Besides applying for a voter card online, individuals who fulfil the eligibility criteria can also choose to apply offline, by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the electoral office that is located nearest to your place of residence and collect Form 6 for the purpose of new registration of voter in the electoral rolls.
- Fill in the form with all the details required and attach a copy of the documents required-address proof, age proof as well as photographs.
- Submit the form with all the documents to the electoral office, either in person or by post. You will receive an ID reference number, which you can use to track the status of your application.
- Once the form has been submitted, a Booth Level Officer (BLO) will visit your home to confirm the details you have provided in your form.
- After the verification process is completed successfully, you will receive your voter’s ID card through the post or in person.
Documents to be Submitted for Voter’s ID Card in Bihar
The following documents are to be submitted along with your application form when applying for a voter’s ID card in Bihar:
- Proof of address (passport/ration card/utility bills/Aadhar card/driver’s licence
- Proof of age (birth certificate/passport/PAN card/Aadhar card/driver’s licence)
- Recent passport sized photographs
How to track status in Bihar
Tracking Voter ID Status Online
The Bihar CEO website(http://ceobihar.nic.in/) currently has no facility available to check your Voter ID status online. However, you can check if your name has been included in the electoral rolls on the same website by searching in PDF (http://ceobihar.nic.in/PSCDROM/HTML/ecdetails1.htm) or in E-Roll (http://220.127.116.11/electorsearchnew/). You can also find out if your name is included in the electoral roll by visiting the NVSP website(http://electoralsearch.in/).You can search using your details or your EPIC number.
- Search by details.
- Provide your name, father/husband’s name, age or date of birth, gender, state, district and assembly constituency. You can also locate your constituency on the map.
- Search by EPIC number
- Provide your Epic number and state.
- Enter the Captcha code and click on “Search” to generate your results.
Tracking Voter ID status via SMS
To track your Voter ID status, you can send the following SMS to 56677.
- ELEvoter ID number
Calling on the Dedicated ECI Helpline Number
You can call the ECI Helpline number 1950 toll free. The helpline is available on all working days between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card Online in Bihar
A voter ID card is an official government issued document that permits the bearer to participate in the electoral process. It is also used as a form of identity as well as address proof for a variety of purposes, and is therefore an important document.
As many individuals carry their voter ID card with them as a form of identification, there may be an occasion when your card gets misplaced or lost. It could also be stolen or suffer wear and tear, making it unusable. In such situations, the Election Commission permits you to apply for a duplicate voter ID card. This can be done both offline as well as online.
The process for applying for a duplicate voter ID card online in Bihar is mentioned below:
- Download Form EPIC-002, which is the application form for duplicate voter ID card.
- Fill in the details as required, such as your address, name, constituency etc.
- In the event your voter ID card was stolen or lost, you will have to attach a copy of the FIR registered at a police station along with your form.
- Submit the form along with the supporting documents to the electoral office where you are registered as a voter.
- After your application has been verified, you will be issued a duplicate voter ID card.
How to Apply for Duplicate Voter ID Card Offline in Bihar
The Election Commission of Bihar has outlined the circumstances under which an individual who already possesses a voter ID card can apply for a duplicate card, which are listed below:
- In the case of original voter ID card being stolen
- If the original voter ID card has been misplaced/lost
- If the original voter ID card is mutilated or torn, thus making it unusable
If your voter ID card has been stolen or of you have misplaced it, you will have to file an FIR (First Information Report) at a local police station and attach a copy of this report when applying for a duplicate card.
The procedure to apply offline for duplicate voter ID card is given below:
- Go to the electoral office where you are registered and collect a copy of Form EPIC-002.
- Fill in the form and attach the supporting documents as mentioned in the form.
- For loss or theft of card, remember to attach a copy of the FIR filed.
- Submit the form and documents to the electoral office.
- After your application has been successfully verified, you will receive a duplicate vote ID card.
How to Make Corrections in a Voter ID Card Online in Bihar
If you notice any errors or mistakes in your voter’s ID card, for example your name spelled incorrectly or an error in your address or date of birth, you should get the same corrected. This is important since the voter ID card is an official identity and address proof and all the information mentioned therein should be correct.
The Election Commission of Bihar has introduced online applications to change or make corrections in voter ID cards, with the process mentioned below:
- Go to the website of the Chief Electoral Officer of Bihar and click on the National Voters Service Portal option.
- Click on the “Correction of Entries in Electoral Roll” tab from among the options provided.
- Select your language of choice (either English or Hindi) and fill in the form (Form 8) with the details requested.
- In case of change in address, upload supporting documents with the correct address mentioned (such as a bank passbook, passport, etc).
- Once you have filled in the form and uploaded the documents, submit the form.
- A reference number will be generated, which you can use to track your application status.
- After the application has been verified and processed successfully, you will receive a voter ID card with the corrected information through the post or you will have to collect it from the electoral office.
How to Make Corrections in Voter ID Card Offline in Bihar
If you have noticed errors in your voter ID card, you can now submit an application to make corrections. Correcting errors is important as this information will be used in verification of identity or address for a number of purposes.
The process of applying for corrections of information in an existing voter ID card has now been simplified, with the offline process given below:
- Go to the office of the election officer in your constituency/neighbourhood and collect a copy of Form 8.
- Fill in the form with the information required and attach documents with the correct information along with the form.
- Submit the form at the electoral office, where you will be issued a reference number.
- After submission, your application will be verified and you will receive a voter ID card with the updated information on successful verification.
How to Change Address in Voter ID Card Online in Bihar
If you have changed your address from the one listed on your voter ID card, you can submit an application to update it to your current address. All you have to do is apply for a transposition of your name from one electoral roll to another within the same assembly.
In this way, your name will reflect in the electoral roll of your current place or residence and will be removed from the roll at your former address. The changed address will also reflect in your voter ID card, and you will not need to apply for a new one at your current residence.
In Bihar, you can make such an application wither online or offline. The online process is given below:
- Go to the website of the Chief Electoral Officer in Bihar and click on the National Voters Service Portal on the homepage.
- Select the “Correction of Entries in Electoral Roll” option from the ones provided.
- Click on Form 8A, which is the form for Transposition of Entry in Electoral Roll.
- An online form will appear onscreen. Fill in the details as requested.
- Once you have filled in the form, submit it.
- An ID reference number will be generated, which can be used to track the status of the application.
- On submission, your application will be verified by the Electoral Officer.
- After successful verification, you will receive a voter ID card with your updated address, and your name will be reflected in the electoral roll in your current constituency.
How to Change Address in Voter ID Card Offline in Bihar
If you have changed your address, you have to update the same in your voter ID card as well. This is so that the card contains updated and correct information, which is important since the card is government issued identity and address proof.
The process to change your address is done by filling out an application form to transpose your address. This means that your name will be removed from your previous constituency’s electoral roll and moved to your current constituency’s electoral roll without you needing to register yourself again.
The process for changing your address offline is given below:
- Go to the office of the Electoral Officer and collect a copy of Form 8A, the Form for Transposition of Entry in Electoral Roll.
- Fill in the form and attach any supporting documents, if required.
- Submit the form at the office, where you will be issued with a reference number to track your application status.
- Once your application has been successfully verified, you will receive your voter ID card with the updated address and your name will be moved to the electoral roll in your new constituency. It will be removed from the rolls in your old constituency.
Voter List Bihar – 2018 and CEO, Bihar
The Bihar Nagar Palika Election 2017 is fast approaching and the candidates have already started their election campaigns to secure as many votes as possible. The list of eligible voters for Urban Local Bodies Election (Nagar Palika Election) is available on the official CEO, Bihar’s website. The voters who wish to check the presence or accuracy of their name and other details are provided with multiple options to check their name.
How to Check Voter List Bihar 2018
The State Election Commission of Bihar provides the list of eligible voters on the official website – http://sec.bihar.gov.in. The voters are also requested to check for accuracy of spelling and other personal details in their voter card so if any corrections are required, it can be fixed before the elections. The voters are requested to follow these steps to check the presence of their name the voter list Bihar 2017:
- To download the voter list for Nagar Palika Election 2017, please follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of State Election Commission of Bihar – http://sec.bihar.gov.in
- Move the mouse pointer over ‘Search in PDF’
- Click on ‘Nagarpalika’
- Choose the District Name along with the name of the Urban Local Body
- Select the ward from the dropdown and click on the appropriate booth name
- Click on ‘Download’
- Based on the size of the PDF file and speed of internet, the voter list will get download with 2-5 minutes
- Once downloaded, open the file to find your name in the Voter List for Nagar Palika Election 2017 in Bihar Voter List.
- The voter can also choose to enter his/her personal details in order to check the presence of the name. The following steps are required for Bihar Voter List Name Search:
- Select the District
- Choose the Block
- Click on the associated ward
- Enter the voter ID card
- Enter the voter’s name
- Fill in at least the first three characters of a relative’s name
- Enter the captcha for security purpose
- Click on ‘View’ to check for the presence of your name in the Voter List.
The voters can also access the Voter List downloading the Individual Constituency. The last date for a potential voter to request for addition of his/her name to the Voter List for Nagar Palika Election 2017 has already expired in the month of February. The process to check the name of a voter in the Voter List 2017 doesn’t take more than two minutes provided the voter has selected the correct details while downloading the PDF file or while carrying out a check in the Electoral Roll.